Monday, February 21, 2022

Isaiah's story

 On leaving the military and PTSD symptoms that followed

Isiah James: "I was deployed to Iraq two times and Afghanistan one time. My job in the Army was an 11 Bravo which is an infantryman. My first deployment was 15 months from October ‘06 to January ‘08. My second deployment was December ‘08 to December 2009. And my final deployment was June 2010 to May 2011. I was wounded in service. I loved being in the Army but not for the reasons you would think. I loved the kinship and the camaraderie and the brotherhood that it provided. And once I got hurt, I couldn't do it anymore. The Army medically retired me. So at 27 years old, I was literally a retiree.

“I didn't really deal with [PTSD] while I was in [the Army] because you're surrounded by ... like everybody is going through the same things. So you don't really want to manifest your problems on anybody else. But it's when you get outside the military, and the civilian world is a lot different, and you're on your own and you don't really have that support network there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elizabeth's story

  His behaviour changed rapidly. I know I should have recognized it, but when you’re inside a situation it’s hard to get perspective. One da...